Landscaping for All Seasons
Landscaping is something that all gardeners undertake throughout the year, often adapting to the changing seasons. But what if you could incorporate all four seasons into your garden so it lasts all year round?
Here at Windy Willows, we love the idea of a garden that can withstand even the harshest winters. After all, there’s nothing quite as sad as seeing all your gorgeous flowers and plants succumbing to the cold and frost.
Landscaping to Create Year-Round Beauty in Your Outdoor Space
We all love to see colour and life thriving when we step into our outdoor spaces. And there’s no reason that you can’t have that throughout the year. Here’s what you need to know before getting started:
- The Qualities of Your Garden. Before going wild and scrolling aimlessly through the plant selector, you need to know what types of plants will work in your outdoor space. Determine how much rain your area gets and how much moisture your garden can retain. Check your soil quality and see how much sun your garden gets during the different hours of the day. This will inform your plant shopping list going forward.
- The Variety of Plants. To be able to have a garden that thrives through the seasons, you need to familiarise yourself with all types of plants. You will need to choose and buy plants that have long blooming seasons or that last through all four seasons. A garden that lasts tends to have a mixture of annual plants and perennial plants.
- The Water and Sunlight Needs of Different Plants. Before purchasing any plants, you need to make sure you fully understand what they need to thrive. You can do this by either doing your own research or asking a landscaping professional. Once you know this, it is easy to choose plants that will flourish in your garden and will last year-round.
- The Other Things You Will Need. Once you have chosen a variety of plants, you will need to buy additional items that will help you maintain your space. An example would be planting additives and mediums and looking into irrigation Some options you might want to consider include planting mediums and additives like Bone Meal and Compost as well as looking at updating your irrigation system.
Plants for Year-Round Landscaping
Now for our favourite part, having a look at the plants that you can buy. There are a large variety of plants that can help you achieve a lasting garden, so it can be very difficult to choose simply a few. But we have chosen five of our favourites to get you started:
- Baby Sun Rose. Most people hear “rose” and think about all the tedious pruning they have to do when winter comes knocking. Well, this isn’t the case with this rose. They are hardy, evergreen, and only need a little water.
- In general, bamboo is great for any evergreen garden. But our favourite has to be sacred bamboo. When in direct sunlight, the leaves turn a fiery red that is sure to catch anyone’s eye.
- Day Lily. Fun fact: despite its name, a day lily is not actually a lily at all. It is a flower that comes in a wide variety of colours that will liven up your garden.
- Barbeque rosemary is not only evergreen, it can also be used for cooking. So, if you are an aspiring chef and love wonderful smells when you stroll through your garden, then this is perfect for you.
- If you are looking for the perfect evergreen groundcover for a rock garden, we would suggest stonecrop. It bears white flowers in summer that will attract beautiful butterflies and birds to your garden and it maintains its beauty in winter.
So, if you are sick of having a garden that you have to “fix” every time the seasons change, contact us today.